How to Replace Headlights on Ford Cars
Headlights serve the purpose of illuminating the road ahead of your car and at the same time prevent yourself from pulling over by the police. Unfortunately, headlights also have the tendency to grow dimmer gradually and demands replacement. They fade and become dull with time, which often makes the car look ugly. You may choose to pay at the repair shop to get the job done or else, do the simple headlight replacement procedure yourself and avoid paying extra. This article covers the headlight replacement procedure for most of the Ford car models.
General Replacement Procedure
Usually, a headlight replacement is common in most of the vehicles which is why; we have included a general procedure to have a ballpark idea on how the bulbs are replaced.
- Identify the headlight that needs replacement. Ideally, it is always better to replace the headlights in pairs since the life of the other one would also be near to its expiry.
- Locate the bolts that hold the headlight assembly to its place by popping the hood.
- Remove the bolts and disconnect the headlight assembly from its place.
- Remove the connector that holds the headlight and turn signal bulbs from the back side of the assembly.
- This would cause the headlight assembly completely disconnected from the vehicle.
- Now, replace with new Ford headlights using the same procedure in reverse order.
While most of the Ford cars require the same procedure, there are some tweaks needed in few models to remove the headlight assembly explained below.
Ford Ranger Headlights Replacement
In order to replace the Ford Ranger Headlights, you cannot have access to the back of the headlights directly. Instead, you need to take out the housing from the front. The procedure is explained below-
- In Ford Ranger models, it is required first to disengage the fasteners that are located above the headlight assembly by pulling them upwards.
- Then remove the headlight housing by pulling it out from the front. You might require wiggling the housing to remove it completely.
- Once the unit is removed, you can have access to the back side of the assembly.
- Now, remove the connector by simply pushing the tab on it.
- Replace the headlight with a new assembly.
Ford Escape Headlights Replacement
Removing the headlight assembly in Ford Escape is quite time consuming as the headlight bolts that hold the assembly are located behind the front bumper cover. The removal process is explained below-
- Remove the two bolts that hold the bumper cover on the top.
- Next, you will need to remove the screws that hold the bumper cover at both ends near the wheels as well as underneath the grille.
- Once those screws are removed, the bumper cover will come off easily.
- If your Escape is installed with fog lights, you should first disconnect the connector to be able to remove the bumper cover completely.
- Now, locate the bolts that hold the headlight assembly. There are 4 of them; two on the top, one on the side and one under the assembly.
- Take out the assembly and disconnect the bulb connector from behind by removing the boot that covers the back end of the bulb as well as the marker light.
- Replace the headlight assembly with new one and bolt it again to its place.
- Put the bumper cover back to its place.
Ford Focus Headlights Replacement
In removing the headlight assembly for some Ford Focus models, it is required first to remove the parking light cover, located in the center to have access to the bolts that hold the headlight assembly.
Following process can be followed to replace the Ford Focus Headlight Assembly–
- Remove the screws on the center cover using the flat head screw driver, in order to have access to the parking lights.
- Once the cover is removed, the parking light bulbs can be easily removed by twisting and pulling them simultaneously.
- Now, remove the bolts that hold the parking light cover.
- This will allow the center cover to come out easily.
- Now, you can have access to the bolts that hold the headlight assembly.
- Remove the bolts to take out the assembly. In some models, one bolt is located at the back side of the bumper cover, which you can easily remove from underneath the vehicle.
- Now, disconnect the connector of the headlight bulb from the back side.
- Replace the headlight assembly with a new one.
Ford Explorer Headlights Replacement
It is fairly easy to replace the headlights on Ford Explorer. The process requires no tools at all!
- Open the hood and locate the two tabs that hold the headlights.
- Simply pull these tabs upwards and this will allow the headlights to come out easily.
- Remove the connector of the bulb and the turn signal light from the assembly.
- Replace the assembly with a new one and re-connect the unit back to its place.
Ford Taurus Headlights Replacement
Ford Taurus headlight replacement will require 8 mm socket and ratchet to disconnect the bolts that hold the headlight assembly.
- There are two clips that hold the headlights, which you can easily remove by using a screw driver to pry up and pull outwards.
- Removing the bolt and the two clips will allow the headlight assembly to come out easily.
- Remove the connector which is connected to the headlight bulb.
- Remove the turn signal light as well by twisting.
- Replace the assembly with a new one, re-connect the connector and place the unit back to its place by bolting and sliding the clips.
Note: It is not always required to replace the entire assembly, if the only requirement is changing the bulb. Fortunately, headlight bulb replacement requires simply disconnecting the connector from the back of the assembly, without actually removing the whole unit out. However, in models where the backside of the headlight is not accessible, the entire assembly is required to be removed to change the bulb.