Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD Oxygen Sensor (o2) Replacement Guide
Oxygen sensor on your Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD performs the vital task in the vehicle to trace the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas that escapes from the engine exhaust valve. The sensor measures the oxygen amount indirectly, by measuring the air-fuel ratio in the intake manifold as well as at the exhaust. The difference measured is then calculated by the ECU to adjust the charge accordingly. This adjustment by the oxygen sensor helps to avoid exhaust pollution, and maintain optimum air fuel mixture for better engine efficiency. However, due to clogging and contamination, the sensor might give faulty signals to the ECU, causing the engine to run sluggishly. The most common symptom of a bad oxygen sensor can be determined from the engine performance itself. Also, the emission level rises when the oxygen sensor becomes out of function and the mileage of the vehicle reduces.
Before Replacing the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD Oxygen Sensor:
- Before the replacement, you must look for the points mentioned below.
- Identify the location of the faulty sensor in the exhaust system, whether it is upstream/downstream. You can do this by connecting the OBD tool to find out which sensor needs replacement.
- Make sure you are aware about the oxygen sensor fitment note. Your Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD is equipped with 4 oxygen sensors, two upstream and two downstream sensors.
- Keep ready the tools and wrenches needed to remove the oxygen sensor.
- Park your Silverado 1500 HD on a ground level and disconnect the battery terminals to avoid any short circuiting.
- Upstream oxygen sensors are located on the manifold, while downstream sensors are located after the catalytic converter.
- Allow the manifold lines and engine to cool down before carrying out the replacement.
- Disconnect the wires from the defective oxygen sensors.
- Remove the infected oxygen sensor from the system with help of proper sized wrench/spanner or pliers.
- Do not disconnect the sensor using hands, as it may damage the internal threads where the new sensor will be fitted.
- Before installing new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD Oxygen Sensor, put new gasket as well as antifreeze solution on the senor seat.
- Connect the wirings to the new sensor without any physical damage.
- When you’re done with installing the O2 sensor on your Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD, connect the OBD tool and correct the error code. The faulty oxygen sensor code should go away once you clear the codes and check again.